Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center (CMRC) Days 1 and 2


And the word of the day is driving.  Lots and lots of driving.  We have had 25 hours of it now.  Needless to say, we were all very ready to leave the van.  After getting to Columbus late last night, and leaving at 6:30 this morning, we are also exhausted!  It was dark and foggy when we pulled it, making the task of trying to find the Visitor’s Center very difficult.  The campus maps of Crotched Mountain are not very clear.  Luckily, with multiple U-Turns and the help of a random man in the fog, we were able to check-in and find the staff housing.  The seven of us will be living in dorms here on the property.  They were specifically built for volunteers and interns.  The lovely Sarah Mitchell and I are rooming together and are sharing a bathroom with Beth and Megan.  Though the dorms are a little old, they are very nice.  I think this will be a fun week!
During our drive home tonight we stopped for dinner at this quaint little restaurant on the New York and Vermont border.  We found out that the owner not only sells two pound hamburgers, she and her husband operate a corn maze in the fall.  Needless to say, it was a very different picture of New York than I had in my mind.  Typically, I think of the towering skyscrapers in NYC or expansive estates in the upstate region.  But this rural, more laidback New York atmosphere was new to me.  It was fun to see.
Overall, these last two days of driving have not been too bad.  I can’t say I’m looking forward to driving again anytime soon, but it was a good opportunity to begin bonding with the group.  I am very excited to begin volunteering tomorrow and get a clearer view of the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment