Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Give Kids the World Day 1


We made it to Florida! It was a 24 hour drive that took up two days, but here we are! The ten of us arrived around 3pm this afternoon and went straight to work at 5 at Give Kids the World.

Here we are stopping halfway in Huntsville, AL for the night:


Here is where we're staying in Florida:
 Our street
 our house
our pool!
Aw, yeah. Welcome to Florida. It's super hot and muggy as anyone would expect. The rain and storms come out of nowhere, even more so than in Kansas!

Today I was scheduled to work a pool party with 6 other students in our group, but with it being Florida, a storm came up, so we were moved inside.  It was a hula themed party, so I handed out leis and danced with kids and their families. It was awesome. I stuck by one little girl a lot of the time while dancing. She was absolutely adorable. She was one of the wish kids, and I'm not positive on her age, but she didn't even come up to my hips in height. We did the hokey pokey and the chicken dance among many others. During the chicken dance, I was her partner and at the time when you link arms and go in circles around each other, she would grab my arm  in any direction and take us in circles even is we were facing the same direction. The best part about the whole night was the smile on her face. And when her mom and (I believe) grandma joined us and started dancing, there was no embarrassment on their faces while dancing like chickens on a stage, they were there to have fun and enjoy their time with this girl. It was beautiful. I wish I could describe the joy on their faces.

After all, that's why I came here. My whole goal this week is to bring happiness to these families. I look forward to going back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment