Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Cody- Riding on Angels Wings- Day Three


Day 3 at Riding on Angels Wings was probably the least busy of the 5. There was more indoor cleaning that needed to be done that was left over from day 2. One of the things that we had to do was reorganize their donor plaques. It was really cool to be able to see how many people support this organization. It is important to keep in mind that organization like ROAW no matter how great the mission cannot stick around without the help of businesses and people. It is really awesome that people can see the good being done at a place like ROAW and are willing to contribute what they can. This trip definitely increased my awareness of the support that there is for the nonprofit sector, and this made me very happy. Today was the day that I was able to ride a horse for the first time! This was a really fun experience. I was a little worried at first, just because I had never done it and did not know what to expect. For this reason, I asked the horse handler if she would walk with me from the start. This allowed me to get the hang of it, and after awhile I told her that I felt comfortable enough on my own.  I was able to bring the horse to a trot and that was really fun. This helped me better understand the physical benefits that can come from an activity like horse riding for kids with developmental disorders. At first I was not sure if something like horse therapy would really work, but after riding myself for the first time I was able to see the clear benefits that horse riding could provide in terms of physical strength and balance. Our group also had to do some horse grooming, because it was only one day until classes finally start, and we get to see the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment