Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tilyn- 826 Chicago- Day Five


We were supposed to have another field trip Friday morning, but the teacher was sick so the students didn’t get to come. I was really disappointed because working with the kids was my favorite part of every other day, but they still put us to work so it was good to feel useful.
We got to canvas the neighborhood to hang up posters and pass out flyers. I really enjoyed this because we got to see way more of Chicago than we had all week, and we had the chance to visit a bunch of little coffee shops and bakeries which was a lot of fun. Since it was game day, we all wore our KU outfits, complete with face tattoos. We had so many people either just shout out “Rock Chalk!” as we walked by, or stop us and ask about KU and what we were doing in Chicago. It was really neat to share our story and let people know that KU has a really awesome program and students who are excited to help others across the US.
When we got back to the center, my last project was to hang three boxes on the wall above a door. Being the only farm kid among several Johnson County girls, I was really proud that I knew what I was doing and ended up hanging them all spaced perfectly and perfectly level. Sometimes I feel very “country” compared to many of my peers at KU, but it was really fun to do something I knew how to do because of my background and to do it perfectly.
When we finished our projects, we said our goodbyes to the staff and headed to The Crossing. It was really fun to be able to cheer on our team with fellow Jayhawk fans and alumni even though we were several hundred miles away from Lawrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment