Monday, March 25, 2013

Neal- Guidance Center- Day Four

On the  fourth day, we volunteered at River Rouge high school, in a suburb of Detroit. The first thing that I noticed when I walked in the school was that racial segregation is unfortunately still alive. I noticed about only 5 white students, the whole time that I was there. I also noticed some of the issues facing urban students when I noticed two pregnant teenagers. Yet, while I was there we did not get much of an opportunity to interact with the students. We were offered the task of making paper flowers or washing clothes to prepare for a clothing drive. I decided to wash the clothes because I thought it was a better way to produce an impact. I soon found out that they used a giant industrial washer and dryer that I had never seen or used before. We had one of the officials at the school teach us how to use it, but we still had to organize the clothes into cold and warm washes, and one load had to be hand wash which we ended up not having time for. One of the things that I noticed was that in the office of the school, they had cctv's that were being constantly monitored, I was told that they used them because fights break out quite frequently in the school. We ended up eating cafeteria food and it was weird to be in a high school cafeteria again. The smell of cafeteria pizza still grosses me out. Then after lunch, we started to organize a room that was meant to be made for clothing donations. We folded and organized clothes so it would be easy to find what people need. I wish while I was there I was able to have more student interaction because it is one of my main interests to help troubled teenagers. Next we went to the Walter White community center to set up another Clifford literary event. I was excited that I got to read to a group of children. It was exciting to be involved in a event that makes a difference in children's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment