Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Haley- UCP- Day Three

Today was our third day and we worked at Hand in Hand.  Hand in Hand is the children’s facility.  Unfortunately, this was another day we were not able to work hands on with participants of UCP.  Instead, we were all grouped and placed in different areas of the building.  I was placed in a small room that was one of the playrooms.  My job was to organize all of the cupboards.  There was a toy cupboard, a book cupboard, and cleaning supply cupboard.  I took all of the books of the shelves and categorized them into groups: farm, transportation, body parts and clothes, etc.  Next,  I organized the toy shelves and put toys that were similar in the same area.  I also disinfected every toy in the room.  The administrators were so thankful for all of our hard work.  However, I personally felt that I did not do much.  They did not have much for us to do for them so it felt like we were waiting on them to assign us jobs.  They really did not know what to do.  Unfortunately, it was a really boring day.  I wished we could have worked with the children or even the adults again.  I feel like I get more out of the trip if I am in contact with actual people.  I feel a lot better and comfortable.  I thought this whole trip was going to be about working with people with disabilities.  But I know this is a community service trip, and if I am helping in any way at all, then I am content.

No comments:

Post a Comment