Monday, March 25, 2013

Maggie- Urban Ecology- Day Five


I cannot believe that this is the last day of volunteer at the Urban Ecology Center. This morning we visited the other two ecology centers in Milwaukee; this afternoon, we worked on checking bicycles and cut the exotic plants.
The UEC taught me so much in the past week. There are so many things that I might never do in my entire life if I didn’t come to the UEC, such as wax ski boards, change fish lines, and cutting exotic plants. From this trip, I learned the most was a concept: everything I do is linked to the environment. Or I could say I can contribute to the environment from every single thing I do. I learned that using stairs instead elevator could save the environment; I learned using more sun light instead of electric lights could save the environment; I learned using rain water to flash toilet could save the environment. There are many more examples on how to save the environment. I could see how much that the UEC has changed me. I became more aware of the environmental related issues and I became more aware of the concept of energy saving. Here is an example, today, I had a regression moment in the UEC’s restroom, because I used two pieces paper towels to dry my hands instead of one. There is a sign on the wall says that we could save trees by using only one piece of paper towel each time when we dry our hands. I will never pay attention to those kinds of details if I didn’t work in the UEC. All those signs motivate me to use fewer natural resources and save the environment. From now on, I think I will begin to save the environment from every little thing I do, such as recycle trashes, turn off lights when I leave the room, and use stairs instead of elevator. Thanks the UEC, I become more aware about our environment, I will do my best to save more natural resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment