Monday, January 21, 2013

Eyad- Atlanta- Day Five

During this journey I have been able to witness my evolution first hand. My perspective on life has changed to the positive and I have become much more spiritually aware of my surroundings on this planet. Being exposed to homeless people of different societal standpoints and degrees of poverty really showed me the fragility yet determination of the human body. At any moment in time one may undergo a life threatening event that will leave them unable to carry on a normal life. A member who was eating at the cafe told us he was stabbed in the stomach with a knife and ever since has bad post traumatic stress disorder that left him unable to hold a regular job. Other members have told us that their past environment surrounded them with alcoholics and drug abusers that left them forced to adapt such lifestyles. The members of the cafe were part of a rehabilitation program that helps them identify their problems and teaches them how to deal with their own emotions. This is especially important for those with depression and other psychological disorders. I did dishes with Mike who was a previous member of the cafe but with the positive impact they have made on his life chose to come back as a volunteer. We also had the opportunity to work in the administrative building of the ACSS where we reorganized their entire storage room and hung up clothes. I sat behind a desk and collected stubs from program members who were there to pick up life necessities such as soap, winter hats, lotion, pillows, blankets, and especially clothes. They had dress clothes for them to wear in case they receive a job interview. Multiple people came in asking for socks but the center did t have any so our group decided to donate a bunch of sock packets to the center. That was a simple task for us that I felt carried a massive impact on many homeless people's lives. Today was very emotional for all of us because we had to say goodbye to all the people we had met and accommodated us. I got to know over 5 homeless people on a personal level during this trip. During the homeless dinner on Wednesday at the church I sat with a veteran who had fallen through the cracks of the system and told me there are thousands of others like him. I gave him my ice tea and food after he told me he is in survival mode. He gave me much insight on life and told me not to worry everything will be alright. That phrase had the biggest impact on me this whole trip. The Reverend of the church we stayed at ate dinner with us the last night at Jeff and Frank's house, a married couple who had a beautiful house and cooked us great food. We stayed up till midnight discussing our own life views and perspectives on issues such as HIV, Religious intolerance, societal injustice, poverty, and how anyone can make an impact on the world. This trip has been a blessing and eye opener for me. The overarching message I received from this trip is: To improve the world we live in, we must show unconditional love to our surroundings. To see a positive change in the world, we must project a positive energy and not rely on others to improve the world for us. Make a change because even the intention of doing good will eventually lead you down a path of genuine love and appreciation for the people and world around you. We are all one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment