Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Raeann- GKTW- Day One

In the weeks leading up to my trip, I was extremely excited to volunteer at Give Kids the World. I found myself thinking about and imaging what it would be like to work with these incredible kids and their families.
This morning as we were getting ready, I decided to try to stop imaging what I would soon experience. I didn’t want to have an image in my mind and be in anyway disappointed when my image did not match up with reality. So heading out to our van, I attempted to empty out my mind of all expectations.
When we arrived, I soon realized that even if I had allowed myself to get carried away with what I hoped to find, I would have in no way been disappointed. And I know that what I experienced today is only the beginning of an amazing week.
To begin with, the Village is so much more expansive and incredible than I ever could have imagined. Give Kids the World has 70 acres, of which 40 is currently developed for use.
We spent the morning behind the scenes, where there were no Wish families present. We organized a back room and stuffed thousands of envelopes with invitations to the annual Give Kids the World Gala, which is one of the organizations’ biggest fundraisers. At first I was tempted to be a little disappointed that we wouldn’t be working with the kids and their families right away. But then I realized that without volunteers willing to do such work behind the scenes, this organization would not be able to do all of the incredible things that they do for these families.  
As we toured this facility, I couldn’t help but look around in wonder with a huge smile plastered on my face. We were shown a beautiful pool area, the Gingerbread House, the Castle of Miracles complete with a Star Tower, a playground with a giant life-size Candyland game around it, an Ice Cream Palace, and so much more. I wish I could describe every detail, but there is simply too much for that to be possible.
I had the chance to work in the Ice Cream Palace this evening serving the children and their families ice cream. It was a fantastic new experience where I made my first real banana split and milkshake. However, the most exciting part of the evening was watching the kids’ faces light up and they explained how many scoops and what kind of toppings they wanted. I could tell that even the parents were enjoying themselves.
Even though it had been a long day, and I was getting tired of standing constantly, I knew it was worth it. Today has gotten me even more excited for the rest of this week, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment