Monday, January 21, 2013

Raeann- GKTW- Day Five


I can’t believe my week at Give Kids the World is over. It has gone by so fast! I cannot even begin to describe what this week has done for me. I won’t say that I have changed in any drastic way, because I don’t think that I have. However, I do believe that I have changed for the better in some smaller ways—fine tuning to my character.
This week, I made it a point to look past any wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, or any other indicators that a child might be different or sick. When I was trying to describe one of them to my group, I tried my best to never describe them in that way. For example, instead of “the little girl in the wheelchair,” I said “the little girl who has dark hair, glasses, and wears a lot of pink.” I have also noticed that this effort has carried over to all people that I meet. I am now much better at looking past any “abnormalities” to see who a person really is.
This morning, I helped run the carousel. Since the ride is completely handicap accessible, everyone was able to find a place to ride. My favorite moments were when entire families got on and rode together. I could see in their faces that, for a moment, they were able to forget the illness that had brought them there. Wheelchairs and other hindrances didn’t matter. They were simply free to be a family together.
After my morning shift was over, I was blessed to be able to meet Henri Landwirth, the founder of Give Kids the World, who was on property today. His story is truly inspiring. He barely survived the Holocaust during World War II, and then came to America where he was inspired by a little girl to start this organization. He started from basically nothing, and has built something incredible. Today, he is over 90 years old, but is actually also running another nonprofit that helps to provide food and clothing for those less fortunate. He is truly an incredible man. I introduced myself and thanked him for the wonderful work he had done. When told him I was a volunteer, he just wouldn’t stop thanking me. After all this man had been through and accomplished, he was thanking me. Henri’s never-ending compassionate and humble attitude has truly inspired me. Meeting him today was a special blessing that I will always remember.
As I think about this week, I realize that although it is time for me to leave Give Kids the World, my work is not done. I will continue to do my best to see the value in each person for who they are. Although I am still the same person, I can only hope that I am a little bit better version of me.



No comments:

Post a Comment