Monday, January 21, 2013

Kelcy- GKTW- Day Five


1/18/13
            I refuse to believe that today is our final volunteer shift at Give Kids the World! They say goodbyes are bitter sweet, but this parting is just plain sad.  Before these last five days in the village, I have never experienced such a happy place.  That may sound cliché, but the routine volunteers are so passionate at providing just that—happiness.  During breakfast at the Gingerbread House a fellow volunteer reminded me of an important rule: “If a child asks for the moon, we will figure out a way to give them the moon.”  The endless compassion offered by the volunteers is extremely contagious; you can’t help but carry it with you.  Both the volunteers and the families have made me grow in so many ways.  They’ve taught me selflessness. I will now strive to put my concerns aside and instead take the time to genuinely ask about others’ days.  They’ve taught me patience.  I will now offer up my spot in line to strangers.  They’ve taught me appreciation.  I will now be thankful for the simple, yet impactful things that I used to neglect.  I hope I have touched these families’ lives as much as they have touched mine.
            I will never forget one family in particular.  Not only because they’re fellow Jayhawk fans, but also because they are just incredible.  Every time we saw them we would do a Rock Chalk Jayhawk chant and strike up a twenty-minute conversation.  They offered each of us a small package containing a picture of Rudy (their wish child), a pen, a bookmark, and best of all—a link to Rudy’s blog.  As volunteer’s we’re not allowed to request to keep in contact with a family unless they initiate the exchange of information.  This gesture meant so much to me, because it shows that we were more than just volunteers to this family, we were friends.  I’m so eager to keep in touch and follow Rudy’s future.  Not knowing what will become of these children is the hardest thing about leaving Give Kids the World.
            I’m not sure how it’s possible, but my final day in the village topped all the rest.  I was one of the lucky few to meet Henri Landwirth, the noble man who founded Give Kids the World.  Though he is 92 years old, he walked straight and tall without a cane or assistance.  This man is incredible.  I guess it goes to show that a life full of continual giving and laughter will result in a healthy life. He took my hand in both of his and continually thanked me for my volunteer service.  This small gesture summarizes the devotion his foundation has for its volunteers.  Meeting Henri was the closure I needed before heading back to Lawrence.  All week I have thought about his amazing story and what I would share with him if I had the chance to meet him.  When my time came, I was almost speechless; however, I managed to express how much he inspires me to do good for the world.  I will always remember my life changing experience at Give Kids the World.  This week has been an absolute blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment