Monday, January 21, 2013

Kelcy- GKTW- Day Four


1/17/13
            Today each of my shifts allowed me to bond with the families.  I was able to talk with each of them individually about their theme park adventures and experiences at Give Kids the World.  Throughout this entire week I have been so impressed by the children’s optimistic attitudes that I never stopped to consider the perspective of the parents.
            I began noting the interactions between the family members, and I was incredibly overwhelmed with emotions.  These families have endured more heartache than the average home, yet their love for each other has only strengthened.  There is a family here that calls themselves “The Magnificent Seven.”  The oldest son designed matching t-shirts for his family with this title printed on the front along with a fist-pumping stick figure in a speedy wheelchair.  Their extreme closeness is apparent at a first glance.  I envy the parents, like those responsible for “The Magnificent Seven,” that are able to keep up the excitement despite the undeniable obstacles.  Having a family member in a wheelchair can be stressful in itself, because extra time and energy must be spent loading it into the car, maneuvering tight spaces, and accommodating his/her needs.  However, these parents are able to spend entire days at theme parks with numerous kids in tow while also caring for an ill or disabled child.  Then, if the day isn’t long enough already, Give Kids the World kicks off a special holiday party each night.  The constant enthusiasm that these parents dish out is unbelievable.  There is no way I could even keep up with these kids all day! It truly shows how devoted these parents are to their children.  These parents don’t rest until their child’s every wish is granted.  I saw one father loop two plastic bags full of new toys around his arm, push a stroller in one hand, carry a sugar cookie in the other, while also holding a snow cone between his teeth.  He was superman to his kids.
            I think siblings of the wish children are also heroes.  They don’t see the illness or the disability within their sibling; they treat them as equals.  I have only seen kind words of encouragement exchanged between the siblings.  They joke with each other and make the most of their situations.  Many siblings will offer a helping hand to their parents.  I have seen younger siblings pushing wheelchairs and older siblings carrying their brothers and sisters.  I have come to realize that these families depend on teamwork to function.  It truly is a group effort.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment