Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Raeann- GKTW- Day Two



As we were driving back from the Village this evening, we were discussing our day and soon started talking about all the wonderful experiences that we had. Some of us were trying to tweet about our day, but we found that it simply could not be done in such few characters. I eventually had to settle on something simple like “What an absolutely fantastic day.” There are simply not enough words in the world to describe my experiences and the impact that this week has already made on me.
When we arrived at our site this evening, I was expecting to be working in Katie’s Kitchen delivering food to the families’ villas. Although this was my originally scheduled shift, I was surprised to find that I would be doing something else instead. Tonight is Tuesday, which means that it is Mayor Clayton’s Surprise Birthday Party (the bunny mayor of the village). I was fortunate enough to get to run the booth with the Pucker Powder machine, which basically allows the children to build their own sour flavored Pixie Sticks.
Although I would have been perfectly happy volunteering anywhere, it was a wonderful treat for me to be able to interact with the kids and just have fun with them tonight. In between helping kids fill their candy sticks, I was able to dance around and hand out party hats to all of the kids. It was just such a wonderful lighthearted atmosphere, and I could see the kids and their families enjoying themselves. Seeing their smiles was absolutely priceless.
After our shifts were over, we got to tour the showcase villa, which is a model of the villas that the families get to stay in. They were incredibly nice and it gave me joy to think that the families would be able to stay in comfort. There was a nice kitchen with great appliances, bright art work on the walls, and a large flat screen TV in the living area. But the part that struck me the most was the bathroom connected to the kids’ room. It may sound strange that this is what stuck out to me the most, but I couldn’t get past this huge bathroom, with a nice bathtub and a handicap accessible shower. In these villas, the kids get the master bathroom. It was a great reminder why we are here—it’s all for the kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment