Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Kelcy - GKTW - Day One

1/14/13:

The first day of my Give Kids the World experience has come to a close, and the village exceeded even my highest expectations.  The staff and my fellow volunteers blew me away with their enthusiasm and knowledge of the establishment.  I learned the rich history of this unique organization within the first few hours. After hearing the heart-warming tale, I immediately felt like I was a part of something much larger than myself. 
            Henri Landwirth, a holocaust survivor and founder of Give Kids the World, decided to cater to children’s last wishes after witnessing a beloved young girl’s life being taken by cancer.  He decided that half a million dollars were needed to open the park.  Continental Airlines submitted a check for $250,000 under the condition that Henri featured their name on the entry sign.  Henri kindly declined the offer.  His vision for the village did not involve promoting corporations, but rather promoting happiness and healing in the children. I thought this was such an awesome example of Henri’s character.  He fought, and continues to fight for the children’s unforgettable experience at Give Kids the World.  His dream is still strongly upheld today by the incredible staff and volunteer turnout. 
            I am amazed at the amount of individual attention the children receive during their stay.  I’m so pleased as a volunteer to help contribute to this special atmosphere. Upon arrival, the children are given golden stars in which they can personalize with their name, an illustration, or a note.  Each night the employees hang the stars on the ceiling of the “Castle of Miracles”.  Currently there are approximately 100,000 shining stars blanketing the castle’s interior.  Thanks to a special fairy named Stella and a very organized system, any wish child can revisit the castle and locate their star. The amount of lives Give Kids the World has touched really hit home as I stood under the thousands of stars.  I am so thrilled to be working alongside this incredible organization to encourage hope in those battling odds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment