Saturday, March 24, 2012

A.C.T. Day One

March 19th

Today was our very first day at Ability Connection Texas. I had no idea what to expect upon our arrival to the site, but was very anxious and excited to see what the week had in store.  The first half of the day was spent in a conference room where we met with the administrative staff. Here, we learned all about the history of the facility, the rules we were to follow, and all about the programs the site had to offer. The morning meeting made me very excited for the week ahead. After learning the rules, getting a run down of the site, and getting an in depth building tour, we were off to lunch with our volunteer coordinator for ACT. Lunch was great because we really got to know Sherol and about her life and what her job consisted of.  
After lunch, we returned to the site and got straight to work! Half of the group went to go work in the children's room, while the other half went to the adult side of the building. I was in the group working with a group titled IMPACT, which is a program for adults to help them become more independent and achieve long and short term goals. Today I spent most of my time with a sweet woman named Vera, who was cleaning out her cubby in the facility. She had a lot of trouble working with her arms, so this task took quite some time, but with a little help we were able to get the task done. She was so excited to have done something so efficiently almost on her own. I also spent quite a bit of time with another woman named Nina, who told me all about her family and her twin sister. She kept me so entertained with stories from her childhood. I loved meeting everyone today, and I cannot wait to see what will happen for the rest of this week at ACT. 
Unfortunately since it is stormy in Dallas tonight, we cannot go do any site seeing or touring of any places. Instead, we cooked dinner together and had a quite night in and played UNO. This week should be great, but I really hope the weather starts cooperating!

No comments:

Post a Comment