Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Shelby and the Rainbow Road, Day 3



After getting used to church floors, we were able to finally catch some much needed sleep. Despite the restful night, the morning turned quite disadvantageous for me at least. My poor timing in securing a shower at the Y rendered the water as completely freezing cold. Perhaps I should do more camping.

We were all excited to wear our Alternative Break shirts for the first day that we would be volunteering. Unfortunately, disaster struck there as well when I spilled on my shirt, causing an unmistakable yellow stain. Frantically attacking my shirt with a borrowed Clorox bleach pen and then later a hair dryer, I managed to successfully remove the stain in time for us to be uniform for our meeting with Billy from Rainbow Health Initiative.

We also made it to the grocery store to buy more than just cereal. It seems like when our group isn’t frantically tweeting with hashtags, singing along to We Are Young (our group song), or volunteering of course, we’re eating. I blame it on the fact that food is not readily available to us; we all just go into “eat like there’s no tomorrow” apocalyptic mode.



Amanda, Julie, Shelby (ME AGAIN!), Kaitlyn, Leigh,
and Adam, all stoked to finally be at RHI
Flat Jay gets a chance to make a phone call


After a quick introduction to Rainbow Health Initiative, Billy gave us some information on what we would be doing the rest of the week. We were being put to use in a variety of ways, branching out into other organizations. At the end of the week, we would be proud volunteers for seven different organizations. We left Rainbow Health Initiative feeling excited and eager for the new activities each day had in store.

Two quick stops and 30 minutes of goof-off time later, we were in the van again headed to volunteer at a phone bank with Minnesotans United for all Families. We went through training and then were put on the phones to call Minnesotan voters, asking them to vote no on the proposition that would ban gay marriage in the Minnesotan constitution. Our script had two main questions in the style of a survey, but the rest of the text was more of a conversation. We asked them about what they felt, what their concerns were, what their stories were. In some cases we shared personal stories. One of my best friends still in high school is gay, and I shared with two voters how much I want to see him be able to marry the man of his dreams.

We were taught about the concept of a ‘moved’ voter. A moved voter did not always switch extremes. For example, there would almost never be a case of switching from 100% Support to 100% Oppose. Rather, a moved voter was something we had to intuit. Even if the person started undecided and remained undecided, if something we said or something we asked them caused them to rethink the issue in a different light and possibly give it more thought, then we had a moved voter. We were told about half of us would experience moving a voter. I was a little nervous, and very hopeful that I would get to have such an experience. You can imagine my delight when I moved not one, but two voters.



I was lucky to not have very bad experiences. Those who fully supported the proposal were polite to me. Some in our group were not so lucky, and spoke with people who used abusive language and tones. The fact that there is still so much anger and ignorance on this issue is disappointing, but progress is being made. By the end of the evening, we had had almost 150 conversations with voters, and 75 of those had fully opposed the proposal! At the start of the week, I was a bit unsure as to the impact I would be making. I loved phone banking because I felt like it was quite possible that I was actually making a difference. What if the outcome only comes down to a few votes? What if one of those few votes was someone I called and made aware or even moved? It’s a tantalizing thought, and one that everyone in our group felt as we drove back to meet our dear church floor for another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment