Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rainbow Health Initiative - Julie

Day 1
Saturday we arrived in Minneapolis and was greeted by Reverend Kevin ("Rev Kev") as we call him! He graciously took us all out to dinner and gave us a mini tour of Minneapolis. Even though our volunteerism isn't directly helping his church, he seemed so happy to host us and glad that we are helping the LGBT community. By the way he was treating us, you would have thought we would be on a mission trip to his church. The first night sleeping on the floor of the church was a bit unpleasant. I wish I could say I was excited to "rough it" (even though others are actually camping) but I would be lying if I said I enjoyed laying down on the floor and waking up at 7am to go to the YMCA to shower. However, since then I haven't thought about it at all. That first night gave me a real insight into what it is like to be without a bed and a shower every night. It made me think about what a process it is for some people, to be able to find a bed somewhere, then travel over a mile just to shower in another facility. I think that first night definitely set the tone for the trip to allowing myself to be open to new experiences, only I didn't know how much more was in store.

Day 2
Sunday morning was one the most exciting times for me. We attended the church service (lead by Rev Kev) and it was like nothing I had expected. Coming from a traditional Catholic background, I was very set and ground in the routines of the Catholic church. Even though the routine was somewhat similar (songs, sermon and communion) the message was a lot different. The service began by singing "we shall overcome" then segued into Rev Kev's sermon, about accepting each individual and comparing Jesus as a radical, then during communion we sang "wade in the water" which had a rock feel to it. It was so much fun to sing these songs in the church! My favorite part, which was the least expected was when June, a transgender, read "Still I Rise" by Maya Angelou. It combined so many cultural elements with members of the congregation commenting during the poem, giving her praise and support with things like "Say it. Uh huh. That's right." And the fact that an African-American Transgender woman was reading the poem -looking into a sea of all sorts of "misfits" as modern society would have called them. It was truly one of the most memorable experiences I think I can ever take with me.
Another thing I enjoyed about the church is that they put all financial information printed inside the program. It told you exactly what the church received last week in donations, offering and etc. It also told you how much it cost to run the facilities of the church and you could see how far or behind the church was financially. I thought this was extremely effective, it made ME feel like a part of the church, and when I saw they were behind, I wanted to help! There was no secrecy, no sort of elitist club or hierarchy, and being able to see what the church is bringing in and putting back out financially allows each member to feel just as important as the beacon.

Day 3
This was our first day of actual volunteering. We began by going to Rainbow Health Initiative and met Billy, our volunteer coordinator. He gave us each a transgendered individual to look up and research. He also gave us a sheet explaining how to address transgendered individuals, and a basic journey most of them have to take which answered questions about how most see themselves and what they must go through. We then proceeded to stuff envelopes and broke for dinner.
Later that evening we went to Minnesotans United for All Families to phone bank. We received an hour training about how to talk to voters on the phone about gay & lesbian marriage issues, and how to respond when presented with different problems. Initially starting, I felt terrified to call my first voter. Even though I have talked to many individuals about how passionately I feel that gay and lesbians should have the same rights as others, I have always inputed my personal opinion (which may sometimes become a little heated.) I went through nearly 15 calls before I was able to talk to my first voter. Although many callers hung up after they heard me say "gay and lesbian marriage" I did have 2 voters, out of the 40 I called support the issue. I was beginning to feel a little discouraged before I dialed the number to a 77 year old female thinking "this can't be good" when a woman named Julie picked up the phone. I began my spiel and she said "honey, you're so nervous. Calm down and start again." I then took a deep breath and began again. She then went on to tell me that she supported the issue and gave me tips on how to get the voters attention immediately when picking up the phone. She ended the conversation by saying "just wanted to you let you know, that I'm 77 and not all old people are against gay marriage" and we laughed and I thanked her for everything. She brought so much light to my evening as many of the other voters on the phone afterward were not so supportive, but being able to connect with a stranger over a topic we both feel so strongly about was such a positive experience.

Day 4 


The next day we began by working on safer sex kits and safer usage kits. I was unsure what "safer usage" kits meant until Billy explained to us it safer crack and heroine kits. This was something that forced me out of my comfort zone initially. I felt wary of making kits for drug abusers, even if the goal was to make it safer while they use. I took a brief second to reflect and decided that this is what this trip was about - coming out of my comfort zone. While I understand the goal is not do make you do things you are against, I think it allowed me to see another perspective and put myself in another person's place for an afternoon. While making these kits it really made me think about just how many others there are out there who lead completely different lifestyles. We made hundreds upon hundreds of kits. At the end of the day, I would like to think we potentially save hundred and hundreds of lives and stopped the spread of HIV.
Later that evening we went to "Pride Alive" partnered with the Minnesota Aids Project and continued to make safer sex kits. The environment there was so welcoming and friendly. Everyone sat on couches in smaller circles and chatted and laughed the night away as we made kits. Seeing so many different people come out for different organizations was a real eye-opener of just how many people care about the same topics as you. We found some fellow college kids and began many conversations with them and left as friends!

Day 5
Today we delivered meals with "Open Arms." Open Arms is a meal delivery service to people with special needs including HIV/AIDS/Cancer victims and others. When we first arrived at the building I was astonished how industrial and professional it appeared. It seemed to be a well oiled machine with each individual preparing and packing a certain item. Initially I thought it would be something like a community kitchen in a church, but this certainly seemed to be a well functioning establishment. By delivering meals throughout Minneapolis and surrounding urban neighborhoods it really gave us a chance to see the city as a whole. There is so much character and quirks you see in the neighborhoods that you wouldn't have had a chance to just driving through the main drags as a tourist. We each took turns delivering meals and even though I only delivered one meal, my resident was so gracious to receive the bag of goods from Open Arms. What I thought about during reflection is how much of a process this way. So many volunteers put their time and efforts into making this food, others into coordinating directions, and us as the final step in delivery. Each part is essential to getting these people their food and it is fundamental to work together as a team to do so.

Day 6
Today we worked with The Aliveness Project. This was one of the most inspiring places we worked with just because of their variety of services they offered to individuals who are HIV positive. They not only have a food pantry, they also have a full kitchen that cooks lunch and dinner every day of the week, volunteer chiropractors, acupuncturists and even veterinary services are available. Our jobs consisted of mostly ironing aprons in preparation for an upcoming fundraiser, and folding and mailing pamplets. It sounds easy enough but it took the full day to get all of it done. While we were working, we had a man who is HIV positive volunteer to talk to us and answer questions about the disease and life with the disease as we worked. Everyone we encountered there was so friendly and open to any questions we had, it was such a welcoming environment. I really felt like this was one place that was truly working together to make life better in so many different aspects to people living with HIV. They were so grateful to have us working there and fed us lunch in their cafeteria (I can vouch for their delicious pie.) It was great to be able to interact with other volunteers and members living with HIV. Another cool aspect of this place is that there are no fees for services or memberships, you only need to have a physician prove that you are HIV positive.

Day 7
Today we went around Minneapolis flying for Billy consisting of many different organizations and pamphlets. Probably the most challenging of the days because it was the least interactive with organizations and often challenging when we would get lost on our way to the next destination. It allowed us to see more of the city in various ways which was a huge plus, especially for our last day on the job and to be able to go into local businesses we might otherwise pass over. Initially while doing the project, it was hard to feel like I was being super productive just hanging posters and postcards on a wall, but after a while it hit me that we hit over 20 business with several flyers at each place advertising places to go for transgendered health support, places to drop off dirty needles, and health and wellness groups for the LGTBQ community in general. It made me realize that even how little our efforts may seem, every bit has the opportunity to help someone. Even hanging a flyer creates awareness and responsibility for others and that is something we can't take fore granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment