Sunday, March 25, 2012

WRR Day 1-2: Saturday and Sunday

It was a 13 hour drive to Kendalia, Texas. The beginning of the trip was quiet because nearly everyone was sleeping, but there wasn’t much silence after that. The drive was long, but we finally arrived to our campgrounds in Bergheim, Texas later that night. I’m not absolutely sure on the time, but it was pitch black. We had to pitch a tent with only the car headlights to guide us, but it was fun. Also, I cannot forget to mention the friendly bugs that introduced us to Texas! There were tons of bugs that hit me as I was setting up the tent. It made me glad that I brought my bug spray!

The next day, which was Sunday, was the day we got to venture around San Antonio. We began the day by moving our tents to a different location. The night before, we couldn’t see the campgrounds so we just placed them near the entrance. Today, we got to move them to a more secluded area. After that, we went grocery shopping at H.E.B. I had never heard of a H.E.B. until I got to Texas. Then I figured out that it was a Texas store chain. We bought food for grilling as well as campfire food. There were a lot of hamburgers, hotdogs, shish kabobs, and snacks. We also bought sandwiches to eat for when we volunteered at the Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Center. Next, we went to the Riverwalk. We walked around for a little and came across Dick’s Last Resort. I always wanted to eat there, so I pointed it out to the group, and we went to eat a late lunch there. It was the most hysterical restaurant I have ever been to. The sarcasm was so funny, and the waiter and food was amazing as well. The waiter also made funny hats for half of our group including jokes that was written on them. After we finished eating, we continued to roam around the Riverwalk and the Alamo. To my surprise, there were a lot of KU fans! Every time we said Rock Chalk, they cheered with us! I think there were more Kansas fans than Texas fans to be honest. It was great to see so many Jayhawks! To make the day even better, we decided to find places where KU alumni watch the game. With the help of the internet, we found a place called Fatso’s. We met a lot of Jayhawk fans and alumni. It was a great experience with delicious food. I must mention that I got the brisket sandwich. At the end of the night, the Jayhawks had won the game, and we were all ecstatic. I don’t think I could handle another game like the one we played with Purdue. Now, we made the sweet sixteen.

Finally, we return to the campgrounds. To our surprise, we found our tent had blown away into another area of the woods and it was nearly on the street. It was funny, but we had to set up our tent in the dark again. Darn.

My overall thought of the day: I love the Texas environment! Everyone is friendly and it was a lot of fun!

1 comment:

  1. When the alarm clock first went off, I immediately thought about hitting snooze. The thought of having to get up and be in the car for 13 hours with people I barely knew was not a very fun one. But I knew that I would end up having fun and that I would be able to help out the animals for a week so I bit the bullet, overly packed, and waited for Shannon to pick me up. For much of the journey down there, the car was quiet. I spent much of the time reading and sleeping as did everyone else. Zhi and Ashley did an amazing job driving. Zhi took it to the next level and drank a five hour energy to power through his time driving. He had so much energy, that night when we arrived at the RV camping sight, he couldn’t stop moving and talking. Setting up the tents that night was funny because it was pitch black and none of us had really ever pitched tents before, but in the end, we got everything ready. I had a memorable quote because when I went into the tent, I told Zhi to make sure that there were no “buggies in the tent or I’ll scream.”
    The next day, we went to the store and bought much of the foods that we would be eating for lunch at the Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Center. Once that was done, we went and walked along the Riverwalk and ate lunch at a place called Dick’s Last Resort. That meal was memorable and hysterical because the gimmick of the restaurant is that they’re very rude to the customers as a joke and it was hilarious because George and Zhi hadn’t ever experienced anything like it and seeing their reactions to what the waiter said and did was priceless. Afterword, we went Fatso’s Sports Garden that hosted the KU Alumni Association and watched the KU versus Purdue game. That game was so scary and intense and it was so fun watching it with all the fellow spring breakers and the KU alumni that were in San Antonio. Everyone cheered on the Jayhawks and was so happy when they pulled out the victory in the end. Afterward we went back to the camping ground a happy group of college kids and passed out and eagerly waited for the first day at the Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Center.

    ReplyDelete