Saturday, March 24, 2012

A.C.T. Day Two

March 20th

I spent a lot of my day today with the adults in the IMPACT program.  I met an amazing client who shared so much of his life story with me. He was so funny, and told me about all the music he was interested in and how he's met many famous artists like Lil Wayne! Upon first glance it was extremely easy to judge this man on his Cerebral Palsy diagnosis, but I had not realized how insanely smart this man was. He let me read a letter he wrote directly to Lil Wayne about how his music was inspiring to him and how he was this man's favorite rapper. I was blown away with how well written this letter was and I definitely learned one of the biggest lessons of all- never underestimate anyone. The letter made me get a little emotional because it was all about this man's life struggles with Cerebral Palsy and about all the dreams he had for his future. Lil Wayne even tweeted about this letter (the man saved it on his computer!) and I was pretty impressed at how far the letter had gotten. This man with CP also showed me many things he's done in his life including meeting the Dallas Mavericks and the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleading Squad. Most of my morning was spent learning all about this man, which I really enjoyed because I found out so much about the struggles and triumphs of his life.
After breaking for lunch, I returned to the IMPACT room and met with more of the adults. Today I met an adorable client who let me spend the afternoon coloring with him and learning the 50 states in a Leapfrog book. The clients today seemed really happy, and I feel as though my group and I are starting to connect with these people. I really hope that they are enjoying the week as much as we are.
After our long day at ACT, it was off to the house of blues for karaoke! There was a live band and we all got up on stage and sang Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA. The crowd didn't enjoy us too much, but we had a blast! Dallas is going great so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment