Tuesday, March 20, 2012

#TeamRainbow – Amanda

Our trip started out quiet, as there was never a time during the weeks leading up to the break where the whole group was together. I was still unsure of everyone’s names and it was even harder for me to catch on to the nicknames of everyone in the group. I earned the nickname “Mystique” for being quiet and not forthcoming. Little did my group know, that this would quickly turn around and they would learn more about me than they had imagined.

The group slept a while up on the way to Minnesota. We took a stop in Lamoni, Iowa and that’s when the groups personalities started to come out. We flagged down a horse and buggy and had them take a picture with Flat Jay, that’s where the cultural differences began. After taking the photo, the two 14 year old Amish boys informed us that it was against their religion to take pictures but they didn’t care they said.

We took another stop in Urbandale, Iowa and that’s when the mysterious side of me started to drop. Ever since then my filter has dropped. We arrived at the church around 6pm and we were all very excited to meet Rev Kev. He is our host for the trip. We first went to the YMCA to get shower passes and visited a few key places we needed to know about.

After getting settled in Rev Kev took us back to his home to meet his partner and to take us out to dinner. His hospitality was overwhelming. He offered to drive some of us around the city. Leigh and I took him up on that opportunity and I was able to learn a lot about his life and journey as a gay man in the church. His story was amazing, his passion was even more inspiring. I loved to hear about all the things he had to overcome to be who he was born to be and he seems like he’s got it all – very happy. I hope one day I can be as happy with my professional and social life as he is with his.

Well that’s all for now, we are off to Pride Alliance.

Do everything in love,

Amanda Schulze

No comments:

Post a Comment