Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day Two in Richmond


This morning as we were gathering in the foyer of St. Stephens to leave and go to our Volunteer site, some of the early classes of children who attend the preschool at the church were arriving.  These children were dropped off in luxury cars by parents in business suits.  This was a stark contrast to the Peter Paul Development Center, which provides a bus service to pick the children up from school and then drop them off at home after 6 pm because the neighborhoods are not safe and many of their parents have no car to pick them up in.  How they get there is such a little part of the education experience, one that I don’t normally think about, but this made me really consider how big the disparities in access to resources are for low socioeconomic status kids. 
This morning was our first day volunteering at Glen Lea elementary school in Richmond, where we were each placed in a class room from 9 am until the end of the school day at 2 pm.  I was in a kindergarten classroom with 20 students, all of African American background, as most of the students at this school are.  I adored the kindergarteners I worked with, who were really sweet kids.  It was so fun to play with them and talk to them!  They were all really clingy to the new volunteer, about half of them constantly hovering around me, wanting to hold my hand as we walked to lunch and recess and back.  Their teacher was a good sport because they were so excited, but I’m sure it probably frustrated her that they kept talking to me and walking next to me when they were supposed to be walking silently in a single file line.  One thing that struck me about the kindergarteners was that they seemed to have a relative lack of discipline.  Of course, kindergarteners in general are a rambunctious bunch, which contributed somewhat to their behavior, but they generally had trouble focusing for long on assignments and following basic instructions even after being told several times.  That being said, they were still a very energetic and bright bunch who were relatively well behaved, just energetic and lacking personal discipline skills as of yet.  I think that they benefit from individual treatment, because when I was talking to them one on one or in small groups they were much better behaved and responsive to my rules for the most part, but in the large group setting they didn’t want to settle down and focus.   I really like the kids in my class and I’m looking forward to volunteering again with them tomorrow! 
Work at Peter Paul has been much more individualized so far, which some group members like better because it makes it feel more like we are making an impact.  Today I worked with a fourth grader on her social studies and language arts homework, helping her to focus and get it done.  She was a relatively soft-spoken girl who said she likes to read, but like most of the students Peter Paul serves, is somewhat behind grade level on this skill.  Really, she read the words really well, and what I had to help her with the most was comprehension; she was more likely to spout back exactly what she read until I helped her focus on figuring out what her text was actually saying.  With such large elementary schools full of kids who are even more behind than her in this neighborhood, I can see exactly why teachers would just accept a reiteration of the text as proof that students actually did their work without requiring more of the students.  I’m glad to have gotten the chance to help her with comprehension, because not only did she get more out of her homework that way and seem genuinely motivated, but I feel that I learned new skills about communicating facts in a different way and expressing myself to kids of different backgrounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment