Friday, March 23, 2012

Peter Paul: Day Seven

DAY SEVEN
Friday / March 23, 2012

I started the day by helping out at Glen Lea Elementary in Mrs. Carrigan's class, once again. Since I had already had the kids previously, it was much easier for me to help the kids and to call them by name rather than learning everything completely from scratch like I have done in other days. We first began the day by having music class with Mr. Gillis. In this, they learned about the Jazz musician, B.B. King. It was really entertaining to watch the kids get into the music and swing their heads and hips. Definitely my favorite part of the day!

After music, they went back to Mrs. Carrigan's class to work on math. In math, they focused on learning how to count money. Mrs. Carrigan told me that this class was actually the quickest to ever pick up how to count money, despite that they had a difficult time with simple addition and subtraction. To learn how to count the pennies, nickels, and dimes, they used a specific method to count. The method they used was called "hairs". The pennies would get no hairs, while the nickels would get one and the dimes would get two. Each hair counted for 5 and this allowed the kids to break down the coins easier, so they could count it out in their minds.

Following this, it was time for lunch. Mrs. Carrigan told me that she would be leaving at lunch for a meeting and that a substitute teacher would be coming later to help out. Little did I know that I would be having to take care of an entire classroom of children all by myself between these two time periods! It was very hectic and the kids were not used to taking instruction from me, but it did allow me to have valuable insight on how to react to the children's problems. When we went back to the classroom, I was also in charge of leading the reading of the Llorax and in completing a worksheet covering natural resources.


When the substitute, Mrs. Carter, came she helped immensely! We went straight out to recess and while the kids were playing, we had a small chat about Alternative Breaks and my major in social welfare. Since her daughter was also a social work major, she discussed with me the importance of having people being able to provide services and to advocate for the individuals that live in that area.

After recess, we went back inside and watched a movie from the book we read earlier called the Llorax.

When this was completed we went back out for recess a second time since it was such a nice day. Little did I know, that the day was practically over! It was so sad breaking away from the young kids that I had made such close bonds with, but I know that the small moments that I spent here will forever make an impact on my life.

Similarly, the Peter Paul Development Center also made a lasting impression on me. Unfortunately, Dominic did not attend, but I was able to say goodbye to my new good friend named Octavia. During my day at PPDC, we played games outside, had snow cones, and the rain even came in a little forcing us to go back to the center early. Even though that happened, it allowed me to say a final goodbye to Octavia and I gave her my contact info in case she needed any assistance when it comes to school issues and other general questions. Walking away was really difficult and the whole group stood there for a solid fifteen minutes just talking and telling each other goodbye, even though no one would even move a muscle to leave.

As the final day has arrived, it has been a tremendous experience looking back at how much we have done collectively during this past week. I have gotten to know so many fantastic people and the kids have truly touched my life with their smiles and loving attitudes.

Overall, I really feel that even though I may have changed just one of these kid's lives by coming here this week, I was truly the one who came out being changed. I now have such a better understanding of the different types of people who come from different ways of life. In this, I believe it is very valuable in my career of social welfare. In order for me to effectively help people, I need to establish these methods to help provide services and the best way to do so is to experience it myself.

Going into the trip, I really had no clue what to expect. Previously, I had viewed volunteerism as dealing with smaller issues usually in one's hometown. I had never dreamed of actually going halfway across America to experience something that is so much larger than myself. With my expectations before the trip, I knew I would be helping disadvantaged kids, but I had no clue the extent to what I was dealing with. By going into the classrooms and neighborhoods and seeing for myself what the children experience on a daily basis, this has helped me grasp more of what the reality is for these kids.

My favorite aspect of the trip is just simply being a friend to these kids and help mold them into successful students. Since I didn't have much help growing up from my parents either, like many of the kids from these neighborhoods experience, I feel as though I can really show these kids that despite their circumstances, they can really make it.

I am so grateful to have visited both Glen Lea Elementary and Peter Paul  and would like to thank them for everything they have done for us this week. I am so thrilled to hear about more of their successes in the future and if the fates allow, return and help!


No comments:

Post a Comment