Saturday, March 24, 2012

A.C.T. Day Three

March 21st

This week is flying by I can not believe its half over already!! Today was a very enjoyable, busy day. We started out the morning baking cookies in the staff kitchen for the ACT employees, clients, and children. This was something so simple, but delivering cookies around the building was such a hit, and everyone was so thankful for them. We baked more than 10 dozen and they were gone by the end of the day! After cookie baking, we loaded up three IMPACT adult groups and headed out to a pizza parlor. The adults were so excited to get an opportunity to get out of the building and on a field trip, and their positive attitude affected us all. I hadn't realized till this trip how long and how much effort it truly takes to transport so many disabled people out and about. It really showed me that I take a lot of things for granted. Loading everyone in and out of the pizza parlor took more than three hours after the trip was done, which I had not expected. At lunch I sat with, and helped feed, Nina, a client I had connected with previously this week. She really cracks me up and was pulling jokes the whole time. She had me get all her favorites, and wouldn't dare let me forget her chocolate pudding for dessert! The outing really gave us a lot of one on one time, while also forcing us volunteers to be more involved and assertive in patient care. I learned I could handle a lot more in this kind of situation than I had expected.
Returning to ACT, I finally got a chance to meet the children in the program, which I absolutely loved. The kids were so happy and energetic and playing with them all afternoon was a blast. Though many of them had severe physical disabilities, they all seemed to work around them so well. It amazed me how strong and determined such little children could be despite their health complications.  I felt like today at ACT we accomplished a lot, and really connected on a deeper level with the clients. I hope that I'll get to work more with the children this week because it was very refreshing, and it's been my favorite part so far!
Our night tonight was spent in Fort Worth, where we went line dancing in a wild west venue, Billy Bobs. Here, we met some older couples, who gave us some pointers and taught us how to line dance! We all also got to dance with a southern boy who taught us how to country style partner dance. There definitely was no shortage of western culture tonight! We are hoping to return here in a few days and see what else the Stockyards in Fort Worth have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment