Saturday, January 14, 2012

Austin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary Day 5.


Day Five.

Final Day here in Austin. I just fell down the stairs at the church so that was pretty rough. Still with the fever, but whatever. Things could be worse. It actually ended up being a very beautiful day. In the morning, we organized two of the most unorganized, rat poop infested rooms I’ve ever encountered. I actually had to leave. I spent some quality time in the kitchen washing a lot of blood dishes and bleaching a lot of things. We proceeded to take a two-hour lunch per instruction and went to the capitol. It was kind of cool, but I find the idea of Texas holding the mentality of being a sovereign state is really strange being a Kansas. I also realized I’m really bad at history, but I did get a sweet picture of Rick Perry in the Senate Chambers. No, we’re not related.

After our lunch, we had spend time with a zoo keeper time. Erica and I immediately grouped up with Steve, the goofiest man alive. He and Erica actually are “laugh twins.” Whatever. Before we paired up, Erica and I started sorting the group in to Hogwarts houses. We also started referring to our group as “Hogwart Group,” which was quickly then picked up by the zoo staff. We sorted a few animals as well. We asked Bobo the cockatoo which house he was in (ie. Bobo are you in X house?) and he only responded with a bird chirp to Griffindor. Steve then let us play with the baby lamb for about 45 minutes. She didn’t want to talk to us very much, but then she told us she wasn’t of age and that maybe she was even a muggle. We couldn’t sort her. Steve is a “huffleheart,” as he would say, which is great. Babe the Pig is Hagrid. Anyway, that’s what we did. – shit girls say.

It was really sad to leave the Zoo. The staff thanked us profusely, and we even got a group shot with the president of the board.

Although the volunteering was great, I was the most satisfied the relationships and friendships I’ve made over this last week. I have made friends that I know I will keep in contact with, that otherwise I would have never met. We have all shared a lot with each other, and have made a lot of really great connections. I think I was expecting more of a trip in which I was grateful for the work I was done, and not that isn’t the case, but I was not expecting the trip and great times I had. This has been a wonderful experience, even staying up until 3 in the morning every night. Let’s be real, I am a creature of going to bed at mid night habit. This break was what I was looking for ward to all semester, and it couldn’t have gone any better. Unless I was lightly scratched by a tiger, that would be rad.

Happy Friday the thirteenth.

Kait Perry.

No comments:

Post a Comment