Sunday, January 15, 2012

National Audubon Society - Jan. 12th, 2012

Day Seven. I can't believe that I'm sitting here after our very last day of work here at Appleton-Whittell Research Ranch. This entire experience has gone by so quickly and has been so surreal... I feel like our first day of work was years ago! Words cannot express how sad and bittersweet it is to have to leave, or how thankful I am for have being given this experience.

We began our last day at the Ranch by meeting Roger at Headquarters. Our project for the morning was to build an erosion control structure, which isn't nearly as fancy as it sounds but is very important in maintaining land integrity. We used an erosion control method that has been used for hundreds, if not thousands, of years by Native Americans and other cultures. Roger took us to a spot off the side of the dirt road that had been eroded and became a site for water runoff. He even let us drive the Gator down there! Our job was to scavenge the surrounding area for rocks with a flat bottom that can be wiggled into the ground. We collected tons of rocks and put them together in this eroded area, kind of like putting a puzzle together, to make a structure resembling a stone pathway.
The structure helps prevent soil erosion during the rains by slowing the water runoff enough so that it begins to deposit its silt. I think I remember reading about the same thing happening in Africa in Wangari Maathai's book "Unbowed: A Memoir". Europeans had chopped down so many trees and replanted ones that were, in their opinion, more economically useful to launch the logging industry on this new continent. The root systems of these trees couldn't hold the soil as well as the native trees, so an alarming amount of soil erosion occurred -- the trees changed the integrity of practically the entire continent. We see the exact same problem to a lesser extent here at the Ranch with the invasive grasses and plants. It increases the rate of dust storms and erodes the land of Arizona. I really think the U.S. -- and the world -- should take more care of their land to plant native flora. We've become too selfish to concern ourselves with the good of the planet and the land that actually supports us.

We took an early lunch and, then, focused our attention on removing the half-mile of fence post that we de-wired this week. Roger found the fence post puller, which is basically a big lever. It definitely made fence-pulling easier! I pulled a few more out bare-handed because they were already loose, but mostly I got to clobber each post with a sledge hammer to loosen it a bit from the soil. It was satisfying to finish our big project of the week! We did finish pretty early, though, so Roger drove us back to the Grassland Center at Headquarters and we chatted with Linda for a little bit. She is so sweet, I commented that I liked the potted cactus she had at her desk and she turned around and plucked off a piece for me and verbally instructed me on how to replant it in a pot for myself. To be honest, the level of excitement that I feel about going home and planting my own cactus is probably a bit excessive, but it was probably the greatest gift I'd received on this trip!

We went home and lounged around for a while, and then Roger and Linda showed up and surprised us with National Audubon Society T-shirts and homemade Certificates of Achievement! Each certificate had a picture which Roger had sneakily taken of us while working throughout the week. They are so sweet!! After dinner, we began deep-cleaning the bunkhouse so we can pack up and go early on our tour day tomorrow. I am excited to see Tombstone -- a touristy Old-Western town -- and I am absolutely stoked to hike at the Chiricahua National Monument!

I really don't want to leave for Albuquerque tomorrow, but it's what the group decided and, honestly, it would be nice to get home an extra day before school begins. Another thing that's bumming me out is the fact that my camera broke. Beth is going to take tons of pictures for all of us tomorrow, though, so it won't be too bad. I was just looking forward to taking tons of pictures at Chiricahua for my scrapbook. I'll just have to work it out some other way, I suppose! I've already packed most of my stuff and it's so depressing because I love it here so much. This entire experience has been so rewarding, and I am never going to forget Roger, Linda, and everything they've taught me. Maybe I'll come back, someday! Perhaps I'll be one of their visiting researchers, or I'll just come to help with odd jobs and learn about the land like we've been doing all week! Who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment