Sunday, January 15, 2012

Miranda in West Virginia - 3



Wednesday, January 11


This morning we headed to the school in Oak Hill once again. It was rainy and a bit cooler than the other days. Catie and I helped clean out the room we worked in Monday, then helped move in a table, desk and chairs to make it a conference room. Then we met Vickie, one of the leaders for SALS. She was a contractor and had worked in building and highway construction. She began to tell us about her vision for this school building. The entire first floor, she believes, could be fixed up enough for a business to rent it, and they could pay rent high enough to give the program enough income to finish the project. She wanted tile for the hallway floors, the lockers taken out, new paint on the walls and new lighting structures. The problem, of course, is where to find all that money. SALS runs on grant money and generous donations, but that only goes so far. She told us it was difficult to get done, but she could envision such a great profit and benefit it building could be for the organization. It was also difficult at times, she believed, to get others to see the possibilities as she did.


Catie and I really enjoyed talking to VIckie. It was nice to learn about the SALS organization. I personally really enjoyed hearing from someone so passionate I love listening to people like that. It makes me excited for them, and it makes me eager to find my own passions. That is certainly something that the employees and volunteers here run out of - passion. Each leader we met, whether a SALS employee or Americorps participant, was clear about their interests and why they were there. Since there are so many issues surrounding the area we worked in - environmental, social, economic, educational - it is important and beneficial to have people there to work on all of these things.


In the afternoon, we went to help with the after school program again. My friend Evelyn missed me the day before so it was good to be back. I helped her with history homework and sat with her at dinner. I talked a little bit to who I guessed was the oldest girl there. She was 14 with a younger sister also in the program. We didn’t get to talk much among the chaos, but she did say she liked coming to SALS, despite the insanity of a ton of little kids running around. At least it is a place to go and a community to be a part of, which I think is very important for all kids. I can see the benefits of having helpful adults and positive influences around for these kids.


Our group ended the evening by watching our Jayhawks beat Texas Tech, followed by staying up way too late talking about the trip and life. Choosing to do an Alternative Break was certainly one of the best things I could’ve done my freshman year. It feels good to take time off and serve others. I’ve learned so much from my friends on the trip and working with the SALS and Youth Build employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment