Sunday, January 15, 2012

Miranda in West Virginia - 4



Thursday, January 12


This morning we began another workday at the school in Oak Hill. It ended up being a bit of an unlucky morning, as two of our group members suffered minor injuries. However, they’re troopers, and we still got a lot done. I found myself walking around the school, thinking about my conversation with Vickie the day before. She had explained to Catie and me her vision for the school. It was inspiring to talk to someone so motivated and driven to make the organization better. She clearly believes in the work they are doing and knows what she wants to do to improve it even further. I asked her to explain to me what Americorps participants do at SALS, and what the Vista program was. She said Americorps volunteers come much like us Alternative Breaks kids - for a certain period, they serve in whatever ways the organization can use them. The Americorps Visa program, however, has their participants do more in the actual organization and contribute to the program they go to be a part of. Now I have been thinking a lot about whether I would enjoy a year or two in one of these programs, in West Virginia or anywhere else in America. I have known for a long time that I find much fulfillment in serving others and that volunteer work makes me feel useful and productive. Maybe time in this program after college would help me transition to a career that I find satisfying.

Thursday was the last day for the after school program. We spent time with the kids and I tried to really make sure I connected with them on this last day. At dinner I sat with a bunch of little girls. One of them insisted on using eight ketchup packets for her french fries. I ended up with sticky hands, but at least it was fun to talk to them and make them happy. When they got their coats and bags together and lined up for the vans to take them home, it really was not fun to hug everyone goodbye. At least I hope that I gave them a good week and was able to be a positive presence in their lives for a while.


Later than evening, our group talked about the kids again. We also shared more stories of the Youth Build workers we became acquainted with over the week. All of us had grown fond of Adam, a guy who sat with us at lunch every day and shared in our conversation. He had a great sense of humor and gave us a lot of insight into life in West Virginia and how the Youth Build program works. Sarah later told me about one of the employees, who was a 17-year-old boy with two kids. One of his kids is three years old. This completely shocked me; I can’t imagine having a kid at this point in my life, much less two of them. But clearly he is trying to do what he can to support his family and make the best of his situation. As Vickie told me the other day, the people of West Virginia are hard-working and proud. The greatest observation I was able to make so far was how incredibly easy-going and friendly they all were. They truly made the experience that much more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment