Sunday, January 15, 2012

Miranda in West Virginia - 2



Tuesday, January 10


Today, we arrived at the school in Oak hill and only a few Youth Build workers were there. Our two men, Rob and David, were sent downstairs for some task, and us ladies were asked to carry heavy boxes of tile downstairs. I have to admit, this put me in an awful mood. I have zero arm strength and my arms gave out on my fourth box. I opted to help out with more Liquid Nails. Later we did more lifting but it was much more manageable, so we rallied and finished it strong.


After lunch, an Americorps volunteer at SALS named Gary took us to visit Larry Gibson. This man has owned land in the Appalachians for more than thirty years. Larry explained that he refused to sell his land to coal companies, though it was valued at roughly $650 million. He told us that we - young people - are the world’s most valuable resource. We have the capacity and ability to make changes happen. He was quite an inspiring speaker, emphasizing that if you decide to commit to a cause, you ought to commit completely. It means giving all you have and not giving up. He has been shot at and threatened countless times, but after 30 years he has stood firm in his belief in protecting the land from coal mining.


Larry took us and a handful of law students from the University of Maryland on a walk, leading us to a perch that looked out into the mountains, where we could see the results of a method of coal mining called mountaintop removal. It was literally breathtaking. Among the beautiful landscape, in the middle of such natural wonders, was what looked like a mountain just cut apart and half-removed. It is difficult to describe but the picture helps you see the devastation. Larry also said the mountain we were standing on used to be about 400 feet taller. He briefed us on the environmental consequences of mountaintop removal - it affects the water and air quality; it hurts plant and animal life; it causes health problems for entire communities. The negative consequences are endless, but since coal companies have so much power in West Virginia, it takes a lot of dedication and work to make a difference.


Standing on the mountain, listening to Larry delineate his passion and beliefs, I realized I have a small problem. Every social injustice or general problem in humanity that I encounter tends to pull at my heart. I have this desire to affect change and make a difference, and I do feel called to commit my life to some cause, but the tricky part is figuring out what exactly I want to do and should do. What am I good at? Where will my skills and abilities be of good use? Am I supposed to stay in Kansas City or pack up and move to West Virginia? I keep thinking of Evelyn and all the kids like her. What does the want to do when she grows up? Does she have hope of leaving where she was raised, or is she too young to comprehend such things? I’m growing more aware by the minute of how lucky I am just to have a high school diploma. This trip also made me think a lot about the possibility of a year in Americorps after I graduate KU. Some time spent solely in service might help me sort out what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment