Monday, January 16, 2012

GKTW Day 5: A pool party in January


This morning, I got to see even more of the incredible GKTW property as I joined Kate and Erin for a shift in the Amberville Train Station. This building is amazing. There is a huge interactive model train set, video games, arcade games, ping-pong, pool, and put-put golf. This place truly had everything! To top it off, there was a train that rode all the way around the building and put-put course. If I were a kid, I could spend hours there!

Soon after our shift began, a little boy named Ethan and his dad came in wishing to play golf. The thing that instantly struck me was that Ethan was in a wheel chair, and it was the smallest wheel chair I had ever seen. My next thought was, “Is the mini golf course here wheel chair accessible?” This was not something that had crossed my mind when we were touring the facilities earlier. Of course, every attraction at GKTW is handicap accessible, but until I saw Ethan I had not considered it at all. I then immediately thought of our class about social privilege. I was saddened by my own failure to realize the necessity of equal access to attractions. However, I was also happy to be helping an organization that works to give children and families an equal chance to experience a normal vacation.

For that evening, we all geared up to help with the Big Splash Bash, a pool party and cook-out. Four of the members of our group helped serve snow cones and cotton candy while the remaining five helped with activities. Sarah K. and I filled water balloons, danced to all the songs, and helped the party’s host, a volunteer named Amy, play games. The party started with me leading a Conga line. Despite the groups of families standing in the pool area, only five children joined in the dancing. At first I was little disappointed and embarrassed, but then I realized that if just one child was having a good time, I was doing my job.

After the Conga line, we played several games such as hot potato and water balloon toss. A little boy, Kevin and I played for nearly 30 minutes, even though we broke several water balloons in the process. He and I were very not good at the game! Our fun was abruptly ended when Amy told me that I was not supposed to be giving the children water balloons and I had to tell Kevin I couldn’t play with him anymore. This left me in a foul mood for the rest of the evening. Though I still danced and had a good time, I was angry at Amy for not telling me the rules before and making me stop playing with Kevin. However, after the party was over, Amy took Sarah K. and me aside and apologized for yelling us. GKTW had experienced problems with children getting hit in the face by water balloons in the past and now monitors the situation really carefully. She felt that in the middle of the party she had not had time to explain the whole story to me and did not want us to be mad. I immediately felt guilty for being mad at Amy. I had not considered how stressed she was trying to run the whole pool party and had not been forgiving when she forgot to mention one rule. If I volunteer with her again, I hope to be more kind and understanding.

High: Dancing like a fool at the pool party. I was wearing a lei and a ridiculous beach hat and having the time of my life. I got to play limbo, be hit with water balloons, and show my mad Cupid Shuffle moves. It was a blast!

Low: Wrongly judging Amy. I am ashamed because I became angry with her so quickly. She volunteers her time with GKTW every week and is very dedicated. I feel so bad!

Bucket Fill: Sarah K. did a great job playing with the kids. She is full of energy and all the kids want to play with her. It was so adorable to watch! Secondly, Erin did a great job playing with Ethan this morning. Tonight at our reflection, she told us about the disease he has. We were all emotional as we remembered how slim the chances of survival are for some of the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment