Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Lower Nine Day 6 and 7~


Thursday was probably my favorite workday since I got to work with the boys. I don’t remember how, but the work groups got shuffled again and today Josh, Tyler and I would be on the peach house. But since there were only three of us it felt we worked more as a group than before and it went a lot faster than before.  We finished the up stairs room before lunch. We came back for lunch had it briefly before setting out again. The day went pretty smoothly and there was never the awkward silence that I had experienced in the days before with the peach house.  We actually finished early for one reason…we ran OUT of drywall so we cleaned up before went back to the house an hour early. It was actually nice getting done early. The farm group of Ida and Karen had also finished early so they were at the house as well.  Dinner started a bit late due to the Conrad group arriving back late.  The day was pretty calm and easy. After dinner, a bunch of us went to Baskin Robin’s for ice cream, which was a nice treat before going to bed. I wish there was more to write about the day, but at the Peach house it was easy, and being the shy person in the group there weren’t that many interesting conversations on my part. But we really did talk about everything. How the workday went, what we wanted to do travels that we’ve done, etc.  I was getting used to the group and the house and I think everyone felt the same.

Friday….last day of work was sadly one of the colder days that it was when we were down there.  Before going to bed the night before, Jesse said we didn’t have to leave till 9am due to a staff meeting that they would be having at 8am. Well needless to say we were all thrilled. Strangely the next morning, everyone had trouble rolling out of bed. When it was time to leave, only my bedroom was ready so we split up like that. I headed to Conrad’s because they needed people right then. For most of the morning I was an assistant. I rode with Darren as he got the rest of the drywall for Tim and Hugh and we dropped it off at Peach house before heading to Conrad’s where it was bitterly cold. By bitter I mean 30s when yesterday was 60-70s. In the afternoon it warmed up and I felt like I was actually being useful helping with tasks as moving wood from one end to another to finally helping to nail in the floor. For the last day, it was slow but I felt good being able to work on three sites. For dinner it was Josh’s turn to cook and let me tell you, the freshman did not disappoint. He cooked up burgers and baked beams. I didn’t have any of the baked beans, but those burgers were so good, I was afraid I was going to eat them all. For a last day…it was a good day despite the bitter cold, but I will still miss Thursday since it felt more like a group effort the individuals doing their own thing. It’s got me thinking…are 10 people too big of a group for real bonding?

No comments:

Post a Comment