Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Lower Nine Last Day D=


Our last day in New Orleans was definitely a fun one. We left about 10am from the house saying goodbye to everyone except Darren who was off at work. I really do wish we had a chance to say bye to him. But in the middle of the night he left stuffed animals for all of us on the couch. I took a blue bear from the bunch.  We left for the French flea market where I wandered around a bit on my own till I found a stall that sold handmade strawberry ice cream. It was really good. Then I hooked up with Vanessa, Ashley, Gen Ida and Chelsea and we wandered through the city. Our first stop…real food. We stopped by this place called the Garden and got some po-boys. Gen and I split the alligator one. Surprisingly alligator is really good. Not as good as pork, but good. After this we wandered into Jackson Square where we went inside the church and then walked really everywhere and somehow ended back on Bourbon Street. Let me tell you…that street is definitely different in the daytime. We found a bead shop where I found a “Irish Yoga shirt” that I plan hanging on my wall for decoration and got a Packer beaded necklace for my dad, which is kind of ironic since he told me to not go on Bourbon till I was 30 and after being there I totally understand why. We wandered around some more stopping in shops and looking around. It was just really nice seeing the city for what it is.  There’s really no city like it anywhere. At the end we found a street performance in front of the garden of the church in Jackson Square.  Before the performance started, we saw a wedding parade go by and that was really cool.  We watched the performance, and as we did I couldn’t help but think how much I was going to miss it. New Orleans is different. It has it’s own culture, one that I don’t think anyone can explain with voodoo, pop culture, street performers and French and man the art scene is cool.  There were some paintings I wish I could’ve taken home. The people of New Orleans are just as unique once you get to know them.

All in all I would do this trip a thousand times again and not change a thing…well maybe one thing. I would’ve preferred we take the train down instead of driving.  14 hours is a very long drive and we were lucky there were so many drivers in our group. But other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing. I would volunteer again for Lowernine.org a thousand times over and most of our group would say the exact same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment