Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Lower Nine Day 4!


Tuesday was pretty much the same as Monday was. We woke up early and got to the sites. But on my mind was dinner.  There were 10 people in our group and four other people in the house. So what could I cook that would be easy and wouldn’t take too long. Well by the afternoon I decided on Spaghetti. It was easy and would feed a lot. Anyway back to talking to the work! We put in more drywall and I finished the bathroom ceiling and began to cut drywall as Vanessa direction. I honestly don’t remember much about the work since it was the same as the first day. Once the workday was over I began making spaghetti and sauce. Now, Mindy was a vegetarian, and last meal, the person who cooked it didn’t really cook a vegetarian option and left her to fend for herself. So I decided to make a vegetarian sauce. Karen helped me cook and we put in carrots, garlic, peppers, and tomatoes in it. It wasn’t the best meal I’ve ever cooked but it would feed everyone! For reflection we talked more of the same. Most of us were looking forward to tomorrow’s dinner when Darren would cook fried chicken and Jambalaya. I’m not that good at describing people, but Darren was just one of the people that made the trip. We also interacted with Jesse, one of the staff and Clair who was volunteering there for a year and had just graduated college.  Everyone was great, but I really do think Darren made the trip. He made it authentic in a way I can’t describe. After Dinner, he took us out into French quarter where we went to Café Du Mone and had Beneits.  If you’ve never had beniets, you have to. They are the most delicious things in the entire world. The smart thing was to go this place at night since it wasn’t packed. Afterwards we walked around and he told us about the quarter and eventually took us to Frenchmen to show us the area that most people our age would hang out.   I did take pictures at night but, you can’t see any of them really because it was so dark. It was amazing though to see how old the streets were and to look in shop windows. Most of the shops were local and interesting. Some were vintage, others were pop culture, but all had the saint’s logo. I can’t even begin to tell you how it seems the football team is the town. Everyone in New Orleans is a saint’s fan. It seemed like a crime not to be.  After our outing we went back to the house where we had quiet time of reading before going to bed at around 10pm this time.  Wednesday would be a different day. We would have different set up. It was set to be a sunny day tomorrow so Tyler, Ida and I were to paint. Vanessa was to have house Duty. Josh to the farm and then everyone else the same. Wednesday would be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment