Monday, January 16, 2012

Lower Nine- My favorite memory


There were countless amazing experiences on this trip in my opinion. First of all, the views we saw on the way down to New Orleans and on the trip back to Lawrence. You could just watch the country change as we traveled, and the different sights all had their own kind of beauty. Speaking of beauty, there was one particular evening that I went on a run along the banks of the Industrial Canal dam. As the sun set I was able to see colors so unimaginable! They were like nothing I have ever seen before! Along the horizon were colors so vivid and unique they couldn't even be found in the biggest crayon box available. As the sun went behind the horizon, the city lights began to come on. They were beautiful, colors of every kind began to glow and reflect against the water that separated them from me. The bridge was decorated with lights as well and it's shape reminded me of an old carnival ride. The path I took had few turns, the air was crisp and there was only a slight breeze. As the breeze came across the water there were small waves that came crashing onto the bank that was filled with rocks and sand. If you looked close enough then you could also see the air bubbles from crawfish deep in the water under the muddy bottom. The air just seemed so fresh and pure. The dam is so raised that you can see above all of the rooftops of the homes in the Lower Nine. There were residents out walking their dogs and pushing their children in strollers. The entire experience of this trip was amazing and new and exciting but I think that above all of the hustle and bustle and close living quarters and interaction with everyone, the solitude and time for thoughts was nice.

My second most favorite memory from the trip was on our free day in New Orleans. There was art on every corner, music and shows in every street. It was mind blowing to see all of the different shows, everything from hippies doing hula hoop tricks, human statues with silver paint all around them, to a group of African American men doing dangerous stunts and cracking the funniest jokes! The most surprising thing that I saw was the ages of the people on the streets. There were a number of acts and the ages of the entertainers ranged from what I would guess as being from 12 to upper sixties. There was a little boy that did a robotic act to music and because he was double jointed he was able to do many moves that would be otherwise unattainable by most humans. He brought in people from the crowd to dance with him and of course, because it’s just my luck, he reached through the crowd and grabbed my hand. He was hilarious and had me doing the wave with him and just dancing around in front of this large group of people that were watching. Then as I walked away he started to say things like “Call me” and crack jokes about my butt. I don’t think I laughed harder during the trip. As we walked away I saw him approach a man in a wheelchair that was physically impaired and after some observation it was obvious that there was some type of relation. At this point I wanted to give this little boy everything I could that could help him.

No comments:

Post a Comment