Sunday, January 15, 2012

Atlanta: Day 3 - Tuesday

Today, the group split up (sad, I know). The girls went to Café 458 to cook the meal and serve, while the guys went to the career center to do whatever they needed over there. At the café we met an awesome girl named Andrea, who goes by Daisy. After talking to her for a little bit, we learned that she’s 19 and from Toronto. After graduating high school she decided to spend a year doing service work, and somehow she got in contact with the Atlanta Center for Self Sufficiency and Café 458. She works there Monday through Thursday, making meals, serving the homeless population, and cleaning up. She was amazing and inspirational to talk to – think of the life experience she’ll have before even going to college! Anyways, she talked us through the process of serving.

Once we were done serving, we got to sit with the guests and talk to them. I ate my lunch with a woman who told me all about her friend, who had gotten on her feet and started a popcorn shop down the street. She told me she has over 200 flavors of popcorn, and how excited she was that her friend had started a shop of her own. This woman was a joy to talk to, and she told me that if I came back to Café 458 on Thursday, she’d bring me her friend’s card.

Talking to her made me realize how much a simple gesture can do for someone in need. We get these grand ideas about sweeping out across the country to change the world (which, of course, is a very noble notion). But really, what does the most good is just listening to people and hearing their stories. How can we expect to solve a problem if we don’t even know how the problem came about? Plus, I know for a fact that I can’t build a house for every homeless person in America. I do know, however, that I love talking to people and hearing other points of view. I also know that people going through a hard time need someone who’s just going to listen, so they know there are people who care. That’s what I want to do this week – listen and learn.

Tonight, a man from the church had us over for an “old fashioned, Southern dinner.” As you can guess, it was delicious and my arteries are probably clogging as we speak (type?). He even made homemade cheesecake! After dinner we sat around talking to him, and we learned that he has recently gone through a pretty rough divorce. I guess his marriage has been going downhill for a while and they couldn’t figure out why, and suddenly he realized (although I’m not sure how) that he was actually gay. He had to explain the situation to his family, and apparently his wife (well, ex-wife) is still livid with him. He can’t see his children anymore, all because his wife doesn’t think he deserves to. His circumstances are so sad and they break my heart! He’s moved around a little bit, but after moving to Atlanta, he got in contact with First MCC and felt right at home with Reverend Paul and the congregation. Once again, I’m so excited to have practically two alternative breaks in one! My eyes have been opened to so many different experiences. This is what I love about alternative breaks. Sure, I’ve helped to serve the homeless in café 458, and sure, I’ve sorted some clothes for the ACSS clothing closet… but can’t shake the feeling that I’ve gained so much more than I’ve given in the few days I’ve been here.

No comments:

Post a Comment